Saturday, August 8, 2009

Trees

A POEM BY JOYCE KILMER (1886-1918)

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.



-------
This is one of my favorite poems. Simple and beautiful, yet potent with meaning. Its a much needed reminder to never oversee simplicity because there is much profundity in it to the attentive heart. The observation is more one of the soul, than of the eyes. May we all love and fear the Creator of trees.

Side note:

This reminds me...

There are many instances where I am compelled to stop and ponder about a creation (non-human) of God that I would usually take for granted...my most recent pondering was that of my pen--a tool of expression and power. One of the earliest forms of documentation was through this simple utencil we often take for granted in this fast-paced technologically advanced zeitgeist. And yet possessing the ability to use it has given us so much freedom.

"freedom is between the page and the pen"-Amir Sulaiman

...this subtle obeservation made me grateful.

In light of these ponderings...I have a challenge for you beloved reader: think about the last time you stopped and marvelled at a creation of God found in nature or something manufactured by the hands of man through God's will (that you normally would not have noticed)...What thoughts did it inspire? how were you moved by it? Please share :)

Peace&love

2 comments:

  1. Every morning. 8am. I used to chart the patterns in the sunrises. 200 sum days, they were all different. God is certainly the Greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I've marvelled at the sunrise (and sunset) before but never really tried to track the different patterns. Im going to try it! :D Its especially beautiful here (at camp) because im in the wilderness and the sun rises over a lake.

    ReplyDelete