Monday, September 28, 2009

Relfections: combating mediocrity (phase 1)

I am faced with this challenged everyday. The challenge of rising above our ordinary selves in pursuit of achievment beyond ourselves and our expections. It is in everything we do--from the way we treat others to the relization of our greatest ambitions. It is hidden in seemingly insignificant acts that have the power to change us entirely. Recently I've been feeling this intensely. I am overwhelmed with ambition yet stagnant in accomplishment. I am not, however, hopeless. Just disappointed. My disappointment in myself has lead me to this conclusion...I need a spiritual makeover.

It brings me to the fundamental question that I ask and re-ask myself all the live-long day and am now asking you: what legacy do you want to leave? My answer has a dual-nature: one spiritual and hidden, one social and overt. It is this...I want to have been a service to God through worshipping Him and serving His creations to the best of my ability. I have relized that the majority of people just want to 'live their lives' and not be bothered by changing anyone elses, which is why people who dare to make a difference in the world are labelled 'extrodinary'.


Imagine for a second these extrodinary individuals (of those who are in a position to change someone else's condition) were the majority. Then humanitarianism would not be so extrodinary as almost every capable person would be investing their time, money and effort to a cause they feel passionate about. What if extrodinary became ordinary? Then I guess we'd all have to step up our philantropic game to be extrodinary. We would be full of beautiful legacies.

Now the challenge: daring to dedicate our lives (in some capacity) to changing lives. Giving back in some way. We have been given sustenence to share, not hoard. We have been given strength to strengthen others. Its a duty to reach out and share our provisions. Becoming giants in our communities takes what most people would call idealism because, as Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "you must do the thing you think you cannot do".

Often times people laugh, smirk, or look at me doubtfully when I tell them of my plans to change the world and I never understood why until I realized that most people that are at a position to change the condition of our world would trade in their legacies for a so-called comfortable life. May God save us from allowing the destruction of others and, in turn, that of our own souls.

Peace & love

No comments:

Post a Comment